Monday, May 18, 2020

Crafting, But Not With Words

Okay, with all this time while we #stayhome, I can get a lot of writing done. And I have. But sometimes, an author needs a break from word crafting. I used to do a lot of crafts when the kids were little, but I accumulated a lot of projects. I mean, how many wreaths and centerpieces are too much? I've since lost interest in cutesy décor. This past week though, I've been working not only in my meditation and food gardens, but also the décor around my pool. (I LOVE my pool.)

This is what I started with:


A neighbor was moving and put these chairs out for garbage pick-up. They were sturdy, although dirty and stained. Plus, I think someone tried to touch-up the paint because there were areas where paint was peeling. I have a pool, so I have parties and lots of people who need seats. Plus, every year at least one chair breaks. So I took these home. But I have high standards; I don't like anything that looks worn, and I strongly believe in recycle/reduce/reuse.

The first thing to do was scrub the chairs with a good detergent.


Then I sanded the chairs. Not only does it take off a lot of stains, but it makes the plastic a bit rougher and more porous, so paint adheres better. I already had a color scheme in mind (it tends to change every two or three years). Next, choose the right paint: one that is specifically designed for plastic. A spray can is better than a brush on paint, but you have to use the right technique. I've found to avoid runs and drips, you should not continuously spray, but do it by spraying a strip at a time. This also gives your finger a rest. And generally, you have to do two coats. Generally I choose a satin finish because experience has shown me that satin washes more easily than flat, and lasts longer, hides more imperfections than super glossy. Please use protective glasses, spray outside, not in enclosed spaces, and put a drop cloth (or cardboard) underneath.

This is the end result. I'm now ready for a party I can't have, but at least everything looks nice.


Stay safe, and treat yourself-and those working under these dangerous conditions- with love and patience. I hope we can meet in book festivals, libraries, restaurants, and other places soon.

Char 

No comments:

Post a Comment