Tuesday, September 15, 2020

The Laws of Property

 I took Labor Day Monday off, and this post is a day late. With this pandemic, the days run into sameness- I can't appear at book festivals, go to music practice, attend church, meet up with friends at a restaurant- one day blends into the next. Plus, I tend to be a little inconsistent with my blogs. (My readers should really call me out on this so I know that someone's reading out there.... hello?)

Anyway, years ago I came across this poem and thought it highly appropriate. I'll tell you why at the end.


A Child's Property Laws


Photo by Pragyan Bezbaruah from Pexels


  1. If I like it, it's mine.
  2. If it's in my hand, it's mine.
  3. If I can take it from you, it's mine.
  4. If I had it a little while ago, it's mine.
  5. If it's mine, it must never appear to be yours in any way.
  6. If I'm doing or building something, all the pieces are mine.
  7.  If it looks just like mine, it is mine.
  8. If I saw it first, it's mine.
  9. If you are playing with something and you put it down, it automatically becomes mine.
  10. If it's broken, it's yours!
The credit listed is "Developed by James O'Quinn" so thank you, James.

Here's why I think this poem is timely: It sounds like the adults in governments, businesses, all around us. I don't think we've learned to share. 

From children we expect this behavior, they are following a survival instinct. As adults, we should have learned that the more we share, the better, happier, safer, and nicer our trible becomes.

Go share something today.

Char

No comments:

Post a Comment