Monday, October 22, 2012

Do I Look Good In This?


Yes, this is my front door. After Sirenz was pubbed, I just had to have it.

But it brings to mind something that's been annoying me a bit lately. Is life really about keeping up appearances, choosing the 'right' accessories/clothes/candidate/cause/friends/whatever?

I don't think so, but yet it seems like life is high school eternal. We judge each other by so many different standards (what brands we buy, who we vote for, which book we read, etc.), it's a wonder any of us talk to anyone. (Notice I used 'we' and not 'you'.) But it is wearying trying to remember and continually maintain the appearance that we either want or (think we) need to have, or are trying to change.

What if we all just said, "What the hell! This is me. Deal, or don't, stay, or go." Isn't that what brought the Great and Terrible Oz down? (Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!) He had to appear something he wasn't.

That kind of makes the Wicked Witch of the West a bit of a heroine, don't you think? She didn't buy into appearances (the dress is a dead giveaway). The only reason she wanted the shoes was for their power, not because they were pretty and sparkly and had cute little heels and... were sexy. With her, what you saw was what you got.

So instead of thinking that the saying "It's all about the shoes" refers to having great/perfect/the 'right' appearance, I'm choosing to think it means it's about achieving our heart's desire (I never said she was nice) and not letting how others perceive us stand in out way.

Char

No comments:

Post a Comment